Monday, April 27, 2009

Margaret Mead


1. “Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.”
2. “Even very recently, the elders could say: "You know, I have been young and you never have been old." But “today's young people can reply: "You never have been young in the world I am young in, and you never can be." . . . The older generation will never see repeated in the lives of young people their own unprecedented experience of sequentially emerging change. This break between generations is wholly new: it is planetary and universal.”
3. ”Every time we liberate a woman, we liberate a man.”
4. “I had no reason to doubt that brains were suitable for a woman. And as I had my father's kind of mind-which was also his mother's-I learned that the mind is not sex-typed.”
5. “Life in the twentieth century is like a parachute jump: you have to get it right the first time.”
6. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
7. “We have nowhere else to go...this is all we have.”