Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rebecca West


1. “A copy of the universe is not what is required of art; one of the damned things is ample.”
2. “Everyone realizes that one can believe little of what people say about each other. But it is not so widely realized that even less can one trust what people say about themselves.”
3. “God forbid that any book should be banned. The practice is as indefensible as infanticide. “
4. “He is every other inch a gentleman.”
5. “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute.”
6. “It is the soul's duty to be loyal to its own desires. It must abandon itself to its master passion.”
7. "I wonder if we are all wrong about each other, if we are just composing unwritten novels about the people we meet?"
8. “Life ought to be a struggle of desire toward adventures whose nobility will fertilize the soul.”
9. "People call me feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
10. “The main difference between men and women is that men are lunatics and women are idiots.”
11. "There is no such thing as conversation. It is an illusion. There are intersecting monologues, that is all."
12. “There is no wider gulf in the universe than yawns between those on the hither and thither side of vital experience.”
13. ”The trouble about man is twofold. He cannot learn truths which are too complicated; he forgets truths which are too simple.”
14. “Writing has nothing to do with communication between person and person, only with communication between different parts of a person's mind.”