Friday, August 15, 2008

Italo Calvino


1. “A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say.”
2. “...between the revolution and the truth a revolutionary always chooses revolution.”
3. “Every time I have to invent, alongside the book I have to write, the author who has to write it, a kind of writer who is different from me.”
4. ”I write well only in a space which is mine, with books to hand, as though I always needed to consult something or other. Maybe it is not so much for the books themselves, but for a kind of interior space they form, as though I identified myself with my ideal library.”
5. "The satirist is prevented by repulsion from gaining a better knowledge of the world he is attracted to, yet he is forced by attraction to concern himself with the world that repels him.”
6. ”Writing is such a boring and solitary occupation; if you repeat yourself, an infinite sadness seizes hold of you.”