Sunday, November 16, 2008

Arthur Miller


1. “An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted.”
2. "I dreamed I had a child, and even in the dream I saw it was my life, and it was an idiot, and I ran away. But it always crept on to my lap again, clutched at my clothes. Until I thought, if I could kiss it, whatever in it is my own, perhaps I could sleep. And I bent to its broken face, and it was horrible....but I kissed it. I think one must finally take one's life in one's arms."
3. "Like every writer, I am asked where my work originates, and if I knew I would go there more often to find more."
4. "Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."
5. "The closer a man approaches tragedy the more intense is his concentration of emotion upon the fixed point of his commitment, which is to say the closer he approaches what in life we call fanaticism."
6. "You specialize in something until one day you find it is specializing in you."
7. “What people have been reduced to are mere 3-D representations of their own data.”