Monday, June 29, 2009

Journals and diaries



After the writer's death, reading his journal is like receiving a long letter.
Jean Cocteau

I read less of everything now. With only fond memories of others' work, it will be interesting to give my own journal writing a try now.
Jonathan Carroll

I think this journal will be disadvantageous for me, for I spend my time now like a spider spinning my own entrails.
Mary Bokin Chesnut



I write journals and would recommend journal writing to anyone who wishes to pursue a writing career. You learn a lot. You also remember a lot... and memory is important.
Judy Collins

Keep a journal, and learn how to see how you as an individuals sees information so you can learn your own sign language. Meditate and practice psychic self defense and surrounding yourself with prayer.
John Edward

Poetry is the journal of the sea animal living on land, wanting to fly in the air. Poetry is a search for syllables to shoot at the barriers of the unknown and the unknowable. Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.
Carl Sandburg

The keyboard is my journal.
Pharrell Williams



A diary means yes indeed.
Gertrude Stein

A lot of the images in my work are a kind of visual diary of places I've been, what I've seen, heard, smelt.
Francesca da Rimini

A proper family diary with everyone's events and parties in it really helps organise the household.
Anthea Turner



From the night, his solitude, the poet finds day and starts a diary that is lethal to the inert. The dark landscape yields a dialogue.
Salvatore Quasimodo

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.
Oscar Wilde

In early draft it never satisfied me, and that was when it clicked into place and it went so well as a diary.
Colleen McCullough



It would be curious to discover who it is to whom one writes in a diary. Possibly to some mysterious personification of one's own identity.
Beatrice Webb

Keep a diary, and someday it'll keep you.
Mae West

Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us.
Oscar Wilde



One advantage in keeping a diary is that you become aware with reassuring clarity of the changes which you constantly suffer.
Franz Kafka

Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
Pablo Picasso

The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it.
James M. Barrie



The notes I have made are not a diary in the ordinary sense, but partly lengthy records of my spiritual experiences, and partly poems in prose.
Edvard Munch

Today I start a diary; it is against my usual habbits, but out of a clearly felt need.
Robert Musil

What is a diary as a rule? A document useful to the person who keeps it. Dull to the contemporary who reads it and invaluable to the student, centuries afterwards, who treasures it.
Walter Scott